St Mary Magdalene Church Stilton
About Us: St Mary Magdalene
Doug Maltman (01733 242229) email@example.com
Stuart Reed (01733 241114) firstname.lastname@example.org
The church is not mentioned in the Doomsday Survey (1086). The oldest parts of the present Church are the 13th Century Nave Arches, those on the north side being slightly the earlier. Practically the rest of the Church was rebuilt in the 15th Century but the South Porch and the present Vestry are mostly cira 1500 A.D.
The 15th Century Chancel and Vestry were then rebuilt in 1808 and thus the old Vestry became reduced in length for before this it was the chapel of St. Mary built by John de Stilton in 1338. There was once a Gallery at the West end but with further restoration in 1857 this was removed. The South Aisle was partly rebuilt in 1908.
Whilst parts of the church date back to the 13th century, the majority of the current fabric dates from the 15th century, rebuilt/repaired in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Many of the current activities take place in the Church Meeting Room (CMR) which was built sympathetically attached to the Church in the early 1990’s.
Prayer plays a part in the life of the church with a once a week morning prayer group and a monthly men’s prayer breakfast. A weekly Thursday evening Beta Group with an average attendance of 15 from all four parishes meets at various homes for prayer, bible study and discussion.
The church plays as active a role as possible in the community.
There are strong links with the C of E (Voluntary Controlled) Primary School situated opposite the church.
The rarely seen Church Bells of St Mary Magdalene Church