Folksworth Parish
Service Pattern

For the full Sunday Service pattern please go to the Services tab on the menu bar.  You'll find more information on the types of services available and dates and times.

 

More information on these services and on the 5th Sunday of the month, when worship is celebrated in one location with the Stilton Group of Churches, can be found on Sunday Services page.

 

How to find us

St Helen's

Morborne Road

Folksworth 

Peterborough

PE7 3SS

Church Warden:
John Blackman (07880 717968)

Folksworth APCM

Tuesday 20th October 2020 at 7.30pm

Folksworth Primary School, Apreece Road

Folksworth.jpg
1 (3).jpg

Folksworth C of E Primary School

Apreece Road

Folksworth

Peterborough

PE7 3TY

History

There was no church mentioned here at the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086.  The present building is thought to have been a basic structure of chancel and aisleless nave, which was built in or about 1150.



The chancel was standing in 1537, but it had been totally destroyed by the end of the 17th century. The chancel was rebuilt by Robert Pupplett, who was the Rector of Folksworth during the period 1702 and 1706.



The church was restored in 1850, when the chancel and the north wall of the nave were rebuilt. At that time a bell cote was put up on the west gable. A single bell hangs here, made by Thomas Norris of the Stamford Bell foundry in 1660. This bell is inscribed T Harris 1660

 

There are some interesting headstones in the church grounds here. One or two very nicely carved slate graves, as fresh today as when they were carved in Georgian times. A particularly nice piece depicts a trumpet blowing angel placing a laurel wreath on an effigy of the deceased. Laurel wreaths were often used to symbolise victory (over death) on gravestones.



Another stone, close to the porch, has a very interesting inscription, and also has a very early date on it. This is dated 1641, which makes it one of the oldest stones in any church within the catchment area of this site, that has a date that is still legible. The stone is to one Willian Cockrill and the inscription reads as follows.... "Here lieth the body of William Cockrill, wo waites for a gloriovs resvrrection who decd the 24th day of Febrvary" The "N" is carved the wrong way round on resurrection.